Chinese Herbal Medicine For Cough
Different Chinese herbal medicine for cough should be used, depending on the types of cough.
There are 3 types of cough in Chinese medicine:
- Cold Type
Loud cough, thin white phlegm, aversion to cold, and no sweating. It happens in winter or early spring.
- Heat Type
Frequent cough with heavy breath, hoarseness, and thick, yellow phlegm. It happens in late spring or early summer.
- Dry Type
Dry cough with itching and dry throat, no mucus or it is hard to come out. It happens in late summer or early fall.
(1) If you have heat-type cough, drink pear and lotus soup:
Ingredients: 1 Asian pear, 8 oz. lotus root, 1 oz. sugar.
Procedure: Peel the skin off the pear and remove the center. Cut the node of lotus out. Place them in a juicer to make juice. Add sugar and drink once a day.
(2) If you have cold-type cough, drink radish soup:
Ingredients: 6 oz. daikon radish, 3 white stalks of green onion, 1/2 oz. ginger.
Procedure: Add ingredients and 3 cups of water to a pot and cook for five minutes. Drink once a day.
(3) If you have dry-type cough eat walnut and pine nut seeds with honey:
Ingredients: 1 oz. pine nut seeds, 1 oz. walnuts, 15 ml white honey.
Procedure: Pound nuts into small pieces. Mix with honey. Eat 1/4 oz. with warm water after a meal once a day.
(4) If you have a cough for a prolonged period, eat tofu with sugar and ginger:
Ingredients: 8 oz. tofu, 2 oz. sugar, 1/4 oz. ginger.
Procedure: Add ingredients and 2 cups of water to a pot and cook for five minutes. Eat all before bedtime for a week.
(5) If you have a cough for a prolonged period, eat eggs with vmegar:
Ingredients: 70 ml rice vinegar, 3 eggs, 30 ml sesame oil.
Procedure: Beat eggs and scramble in oil. Add vinegar and cook for three minutes. Divide into two portions. Eat twice a day.
(6) If you have a cold-type cough, take the patent herb Tong Xuang Li Fei Wan. Follow the instructions.
(7) If you have a heat-type cough, drink the patent herb tincture She Dan Chuan Bei Ye. Follow the instructions.
(8) If you have a dry-type cough, take the patent herb Pi Ba Ye Gao. Follow the instructions.
Return from Chinese Herbal Medicine for Cough to Chinese Herbal Medicine - Main